The founding of the independent Czechoslovak Republic in October 1918 began another chapter in the Rudolfinum's interesting history. The new government sought a new meeting space for its House of Commons, and it was essential to find a sufficiently large venue, which at the same time would have a prestigious, ceremonial character and a convenient location. In April 1919, it was decided that the Rudolfinum would become the seat of the parliament, which created a necessity for several architectural changes in the building's interior spaces. The adjustements were dictated by two different proposals: that of architect Václav Roštlapil (1919–1921) and that of architect Rudolf Kříženecký (1923-1931). The concert hall was transformed into a governmental chamber, which required the removal of the organ. The building's gallery, salons, foyer, and vestibule also underwent reconstructions both large and small. Offices, a cafeteria, and a social space for the parliamentary members were constructed in the northern building. The Rudolfinum remained a political building until the end of the First Republic in March 1939. During World War II the building was once again renovated and restored to its original function as a space for music and art.